Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Music Business/Law Tips - "Record Deal Term"

Most record deals have a "term" based on delivery and release of an album(s). In other words, the Artist does not move to the next period until an album has been released. The language might say something like: "The initial term shall end the later of (a) 12 months from the date of the agreement, or (b) 9 months from the release of the 1st album". The problem is that the term could end up being "open-ended" or indefinite if for some reason the album is never released or it is delayed. Hence, one should always add a provision that under any circumstance, a period should never exceed 18 months (or words to that effect) just to protect against a worst case scenario/so the Artist does not get stuck forever in a bad deal. Ben McLane Esq

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Music Business/Law Tips - "Licensing Music = Money"

There is a surefire method to get paid from music. Despite all the so-called doom and gloom associated with free downloads, paltry streaming royalties and empty venues, the demand for music in film, TV, commercials, the Internet, radio, and other forms of media is increasing daily and globally. In TV alone there are countless channels clamoring for content, and the number of cues contained in one reality show episode can be numerous. This is great news for music creators/rights holders (both the song and master copyrights), because that means cold hard cash is being paid to the music creator/rights holders for providing the music that drives these shows. Monies can be earned either on the front end, the back-end from performance, or often from both. Moreover, there are really no barriers to licensing music. The door is open to all ages, creeds and colors. In the licensing world – unlike the “Top 40” game - all anyone really cares about is the music; not how old someone is, what they look like, where they live, who their father is, or how many friends they have on Facebook. The link between the music creator/rights holder, the media outlet and the compensation, is known as a “license”. Ben McLane Esq