Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Music Business/Law Tips - "Trademark Primer"

An artist's stage name (or pka) is a trademark/servicemark. Active artists normally need the trademark in the category of live shows (class 41), records (class 9) and merchandise like t-shirts (class 25). Class 41 will generally suffice if the artist is on a budget. Someone else using the same name that is not an artist like a restaurant is in a totally different category that should not conflict with the artist, so the artist should be OK to use the name so long as the artist does not try to start a restaurant under that same name. Go to for how to file a trademark. Or hire an attorney to assist. Ben McLane Esq

No comments:

Post a Comment