Sunday, August 26, 2012

Music Business/Law Tips - "Income From Commercials"

If you can get your music into commercials, you can expect to receive the following forms of income: (i) up front licensing fees, and (ii) back-end performance (BMI or ASCAP) royalties. Both the front end and back-end monies earned will depend on the size of the company, the territory of the ad, the project's budget, any terms of exclusivity or transfer of copyright, how big the artist is, etc. Note that similar to a cue sheet for a film/tv show, with music in a national ad there is a specialized reporting form that needs to be submitted to your performance rights society so that the use of your music in the ad can be tracked. Make sure the ad company does this and gives you a copy (or contact BMI or ASCAP to get their form). Ben McLane Esq

No comments:

Post a Comment