Sunday, November 24, 2013

Music Business/Law Tips - "Neighboring Rights"

“Neighboring Rights” mean an artist is entitled to royalty payments for the public performance of masters in key foreign (i.e., non-US) countries. This form of royalty is payable only to the record label (50%) and the performers on the master (the other 50%). It does not pay the songwriters whose songs are embodied on the masters. Money is collected from performances of the master on/in foreign radio, TV, theaters, clubs and restaurants. For an American artist to be eligible to collect, the master must have been recorded in a participating foreign country (e.g., the UK). A record recorded in the US generally does not qualify. Like joining BMI or ASCAP to collect songwriting performance income, an artist must join a foreign neighboring rights collection society to get paid. One of the best known ones is the Dutch society called SENA []. Ben McLane Esq

No comments:

Post a Comment